The IFSC is the sole owner of broadcasting (TV and digital) rights relating to all IFSC Events.
Management of the Broadcasters is detailed here
Where there is no IFSC deal in place, both the IFSC and the Event Organiser will be allowed to discuss deals (live or delayed content) with domestic broadcasters, at a national level (Country where the event is organised). By domestic broadcasters, we refer to domestic TV and digital platforms. However, the following conditions apply
At an international level, the IFSC is the owner of all rights for International TV distribution:
The Event Organiser is entitled to a copy of the footage of the Event and to any clip of the Event, but no commercial exploitation of the footage, as a whole or in part, is allowed. The Event Organiser may be allowed to use the footage to produce its own clip but shall seek the agreement of the IFSC prior to it. This clip shall not be subject to any commercial use and shall be produced in the national language only. The IFSC retains all copyrights.
TV Rights Policy
The IFSC has released a TV Rights Policy in order to clarify the Broadcasters rights in terms of filming and use of IFSC footage.
ORF will be the host broadcaster of the IFSC World Cup in Innsbruck. ORF will produce all the Final rounds of Lead, Boulder and Paraclimbing competitions (Semifinals to be confirmed). At least, Lead and Boulder competitions will be live broadcast on ORF. Contract, including terms and conditions, will be signed between IFSC and ORF.
IFSC Host Broadcast requirements:
The EO must appoint a host broadcaster (HB) to produce an international signal for the event and deliver it to the international gateway. Specifications are as follows:
- The HB must be a channel with national broadcast availability. In return for the production services specified, IFSC will offer the HB exclusive television rights in the domestic territory. The host broadcaster must provide broadcast on one of its main television channels either live or delayed-as-live within a maximum of 24 hours.
- The video production must be consistent with TV standards (multi-camera production, 1080p, etc.)
- The signal must be a minimum 1080i with international sound and English commentary* on separate channels.
*IFSC will provide the English language commentator. The HB must provide a fully equipped commentary position.
- The international gateway can be an SNG truck or other uplink point, e.g. the host broadcaster's MCR if applicable.
- The multi-camera production should comprise a minimum of 8 manned cameras, plus additional remote-operated cameras. The HB must submit production plans for IFSC approval a minimum of 3 months in advance of the event.
- the HB could provide a graphics package, to the standard of the previous IFSC WCH, consistent with IFSC's branding guidelines, look and feel. Otherwise, IFSC production team will provide IFSC TV graphics
- the HB must provide a daily international newscut of 3 mins, uploaded to IFSC's FTP or other cloud storage within 3 hours of the conclusion of each day's play.
- the HB must provide, within 4 days of the conclusion of the event, a 26' or 52' highlight video, with English voiceover and international sound on separate channels, with script and music cue sheet (all music must be rights free).
- The HB must provide facilities for IFSC to record and playout interviews over the international feed at the end of each day's play and during breaks in the day's play.
IFSC production team
The IFSC might nominate an additional Video Production team, responsible for the creation of replays, highlights and overviews as well as short features. Each LIVE broadcast and replay will show a short clip featuring footage of the host area or city.
The Event Organiser will provide free access to the IFSC's nominated provider as well as all reasonable assistance to ensure a professional coverage of all aspects of the competition.
The Event Organiser is required to provide some facilities and equipment to accommodate the IFSC provider, please check the IFSC Production Team requirements.
More details will be sent by Video production manager 2 months before the event (Info and Needs document).
The IFSC will manage the Broadcasting/Web Broadcasting in the interest of both parties, with the aim of promoting Sport Climbing and the Event. In this perspective, and if applicable, the Event Organiser will seek to embed the IFSC Live Webcasting to any appropriate web platform. The Event Organiser will seek agreement of the IFSC one month before the event at the latest. The IFSC will then advise protocol.